Welcome to one of the busiest and most crowded weekends of the year in Santa Cruz.
Read on to see our picks for the best events in Santa Cruz this weekend.
First Friday Events
Today is the First Friday of the month, which means it’s time for the First Friday Art Tour. Below are some of this month’s highlights:
- First Friday Art Tour
- Free First Friday: Princes of Surf Exhibition Opening
- First Friday Free Day at the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History
- Ed Smiley: Colorful Abstracts. First Friday Opening.
- Art Wall at the Swift Street Courtyard: July Artist: Chris O’Mahony
- Felton Art Walk
- Opening reception at Michaelangelo Gallery
FREE Friday Night Bands on the Beach: The Sun Kings tribute to The Beatles
When: Friday, 7/3 at 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm
Where: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
How Much: Free
Beatles tribute band, The Sun Kings, will draw from their 150-song Beatles repertoire this Friday when they play at the Boardwalk.
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
When: Opening night: Friday, 7/3 at 8:00 pm. Runs through August 30th.
Where: Festival Glen UCSC
How Much: $16-$52
Passions ignite in Santa Cruz Shakespeare’s production of Much Ado About Nothing. Opening night is this Friday at the Festival Glen at UCSC.
Will Durst in BOOMERAGING: FROM LSD TO OMG
When: Thursday, 7/2 & Friday, 7/3 at 8:30 pm and Saturday, 7/4 & Sunday, 7/5 at 3;00 pm
Where: Center Street Theater
How Much: $20
Will Durst is back, with the number one show from last year’s Santa Cruz Fringe Festival, and this time it’s longer, and better, than ever. The New York Times called Durst, “Quite possibly the best political comedian working in the country today.” Head to Center Street Theater this weekend to catch his show.
4th of July Events
We know you want to see all the great 4th of July events in and around Santa Cruz. We gathered up all the great 4th of July events we could find and compiled them in a handy Guide to Santa Cruz 4th of July.
When: Saturday, 7/4 and Sunday, 7/5 from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Where: Boulder Creek Hardware
How Much: Free
There’s a lot more to being a lumberjack than an unkempt beard and a flannel shirt. Come test your skills at Boulder Creek hardware in downtown Boulder Creek with contests like axe throwing and log rolling, games, and barbecue.
Sunday Art & Music at the Beach: Singing Wood Marimba
When: Sunday, 7/5 from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm (music from 2:00 – 4:00)
Where: Capitola Esplanade
How Much: Free
Taking place at Esplanade Park, which overlooks Capitola Beach and the Monterey Bay, Capitola’s Art & Music at the Beach is a great place to check out local artwork and jewelry while taking in some great music.
Visit the Historic Davenport Jail
When: Sunday, 7/5 from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Where: Davenport Jailhouse
How Much: Free
MAH docents will share historical facts about Santa Cruz County’s smallest jail house this Sunday. The Davenport Jail is on the National Registry of Historical Places, and this is your chance to learn about a (small) piece of Santa Cruz County history.
Star Spangled Beach Cleanups in Santa Cruz and Monterey
Last year, on the 5th, 320 volunteers joined Save Our Shores to pick up 1,894 pounds of pollution from local beaches. Join Save Our Shores from 8-10 a.m. at various beaches in Santa Cruz and Monterey counties.
- Coast Nature Walk
- Guided Redwood Grove Walks
- Redwood Loop Walk
- The Road Less Traveled—A Dog-Friendly Walk
- Twilight Hike
- Wilder Ranch Living History Demonstrations and Ranch Tours
Additional events this weekend
- County Government Exhibit
- Birding at Moore Creek
- Bryan McPherson
- Banda Herencia Tapatia
- Harpin Jonny & The Primadons
- UTURN plus Lenny’s Basement: Classic Roots & Americana Rock Dance Party
- Mark Sultan – aka BBQ
- MICHAEL ROSE + Teki
Friday through Sunday
- The Jolly Llamas, 12 Til Midnight, Justin Beep
- Enanitos Verdes
- Rayburn Brothers plus Jennings and Keller
- Pato Banton & The Now Generation Band
- Evening Campfire Program
- Guided Adobe Tour
- Summer Concert Series: Watsonville Taiko Drum Group
Saturday & Sunday
- First Sundays at San Lorenzo Park
- Weekly XStream Beach Cleanup at Davenport Main Beach
- 87th Annual CPDES Holy Ghost Parade
- Jean-Paul De Roover
- Women, Peace & Power – 100 Years: Closing Ceremony
- Shark Science Week
Recurring Events You Can Find Every Weekend
- Tours of the Reserve at Elkhorn Slough (weekly event – every Saturday & Sunday)
- Santa Cruz Farmers Markets (weekly events)
- Live Comedy at the Crow’s Nest (weekly event – every Sunday night)
PS – Get coverage of the best Santa Cruz events and other Santa Cruz Life content delivered straight to your inbox by signing up below…