How’s this for a fun Santa Cruz Saturday:
Lend a hand at one of the Earth Day cleanup events happening throughout the county in the morning, then head over to San Lorenzo Park for the always enjoyable Earth Day Festival.
From there you’re just a short walk away to the Civic where you can cheer on the Santa Cruz Derby Girls after grabbing an early dinner downtown.
If you still haven’t had enough fun after watching Organic Panic take on the Steamer Janes, then grab your beach chair and head to the north end of Seabright Beach for Light Waves Beach Theater.
Or you could choose from one of dozens of other fun events happening this weekend.
Read on to see our picks for the best events in Santa Cruz this weekend:
fashionTEENS Santa Cruz
When: Friday, 4/17 at 7:00 pm
Where: Civic Auditorium
How Much: $7.50-18.50
Local middle and high school students will show off their original fashion designs this Friday night at the Civic Auditorium. All clothing in this event is designed, created, and modeled by Santa Cruz teens.
Earth Day 2015
When: Saturday, 4/18 from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Where: San Lorenzo Park
How Much: Free
The always fun, and always popular, Earth Day Festival in San Lorenzo Park is this Saturday from 11 – 4. There will be live music, vendor booths, plenty of great food, and lots of fun activities for kids. Music this year includes two sets each from Coffee Zombie Collective and Sambada. Get more info here.
The festival at San Lorenzo Park is always a great time, but you can get in the Earth Day spirit by participating in one of the following Earth Day Cleanups before the festival:
- Earth Day Cleanup at 4 Mile with Westmont High’s Ecology Club
- Earth Day Beach Cleanup at Cowell Beach
- Earth Day Beach Cleanup at Del Monte Beach
- Earth Day Cleanup at Elkhorn Slough
- Earth Day River Cleanup
- Earth Day Cleanup at Triple M Ranch
- Earth Day Cleanup at Twin Lakes with Old Orchard School
- Earth Day Cleanup at Beer Can Beach with Aptosia Community Group
Santa Cruz Derby Girls: Organic Panic vs. Steamer Janes
When: Saturday, 4/18 at 6:30 pm
Where: Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium
How Much: $18-$32
What better way to top off a long fun day in the park at Earth Day than a Derby Girls bout? Come watch our local teams compete as Organic Panic takes on the Steamer Janes.
Light Waves Beach Theater
When: Saturday, 4/18 from 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Where: Seabright Beach
How Much: Free
This even is billed as “Multimedia ocean art in…a secluded cave on Seabright Beach.” ‘Nuff said, right?
The event is presented by the MAH. All you need to do is show up with a beach chair in hand.
Santa Cruz Warriors
When: Sunday, 4/19 at 5:30 pm
Where: Kaiser Permanente Arena
How Much: $17 – $160
Cheer on the Santa Cruz Warriors as they host the second game of the Western Conference Finals.
Bill Maher at the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium
When: Sunday, 4/19 at 8:00 pm
Where: Civic Auditorium
How Much: $54 – $95
If you lean to the left and you enjoy equal doses of sarcasm and humor with your politics then you won’t want to miss Bill Maher while he’s in town. He will be performing at the Civic this Sunday evening.
- Redwood Loop Walk
- The Road Less Traveled—A Dog-Friendly Walk
- Wildflower Walk
- Outlook from Mt. McAbee
- Old-Growth Redwood Walks
- Paws in the Park: monthly dog walk
- Wilder Ranch Coast Nature Walks
In Case You Missed It
This week on the Santa Cruz Life blog we took a sneak peek at an upcoming music festival in the Santa Cruz Mountains, and a look at the local real estate market.
Do-It Ourselves Fest is next weekend in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Learn all about the festival here.
Want to know what’s happening in the local real estate market? Get the scoop, here.
Additional events this weekend
- BeachSLAM: LIVE Pro Wrestling in Santa Cruz
- Third Fridays-Capitola Mall Walking Art Tour
- Big Stone Soup plus Scott Cooper & The Barrelmakers
- Global Guitar Greats
- 3rd Friday: Beats at Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History Club Kuumbwa presents Local Beats
- Poor Man’s Whiskey + The Coffis Brothers
- Kick Off 420 Weekend With BERNER
- Ka Nalu – Keli`i, J.D., and Jordan at Pono
Friday & Saturday
Friday through Sunday
- Club Elevate Benefit and Auction
- Cabrillo Music Department presents Il Dolce Suono Spring Concert
- Moonalice: Psychedelic, roots-rock band featuring Barry Sless, Pete Sears, Roger McNamee & John Molo
- WARRIOR KING & The Rootz Warrior Band
- The Willis Clan
- “Journey Through India 2015”
Saturday & Sunday
- Weekly XStream Beach Cleanup at Davenport Main Beach
- Laundry to Landscape: Greywater Harvesting
- Fashion Show – SOLD OUT!!
- Science Sunday
- Sunday Seaside Crafts
- Capitola Spring Garage Sale
Recurring Events You Can Find Every Weekend
- Tours of the Reserve at Elkhorn Slough (weekly event – every Saturday & Sunday)
- Santa Cruz Farmers Markets (weekly events)
- Live Comedy at the Crow’s Nest (weekly event – every Sunday night)
PS – Get coverage of the best Santa Cruz events and other Santa Cruz Life content delivered straight to your inbox by signing up below…