Happy Mother’s Day to all you Santa Cruz momma’s out there!
While we wish you all a happy Mother’s Day this Sunday, there are plenty of fun things to do around town before that special Sunday morning brunch. The Human Race, the Central Coast’s largest community fundraiser, will take place this Saturday along West Cliff Dr. There is plenty of live music to choose from, including a couple great tribute acts, and always, there are plenty of fun outdoor events.
Read on to see of our picks for the best events in Santa Cruz this weekend.
Green Acres Elementary School Spring Fiesta Fundraiser
When: Friday, 5/8 from 4:00 – 7:00 pm
Where: Green Acres Elementary School
How Much: Free
Here’s a fun outing for you and your kids to enjoy, while also supporting one of our local schools. There will be butterflies in the magical butterfly tent, splash and spray water tag battles, peddle powered go-karts, a petting zoo, pony rides, climbing wall, bounce houses, jump rope making, face painting, silent auction, cake walk, and yummy food and treats. This is one of two local school fundraisers this weekend. The other is Harbor High’s annual Pirate Festival.
When: Saturday, 5/9 from 7:00 am – 11:30 am
Where: West Cliff Drive
How Much: $35.00 donation
Having already raised $120,000, the Human Race is once again set to be a fun and worthwhile event. Now in its 35th year, Santa Cruz’s Human Race is the largest community fundraiser on the central coast, with donations benefiting many local schools, organizations and community groups. The event has grown beyond a simple fun run and now features many carnival type activities. Take a look at the video below from last year’s event, and click here to learn more about this year’s race.
PS – Superhero costumes encouraged 🙂
Community Rental: Santa Cruz Arts & Technology Festival
When: Saturday, 5/9 from 10:30 am – 5:30 pm
How Much: Free
There’s always something interesting going on at the MAH, and this weekend is no exception. This Saturday the MAH hosts the Santa Cruz Arts & Technology Festival, featuring multimedia performances, speakers, robotics and drone demonstrations, dancing, music and more. Meanwhile, the UCSC Community & Arts Festival will take place in Abbott Square from 11-3.
China Cats Songs of the Grateful Dead
When: Saturday, 5/9 at 8:30 pm
Where: Don Quixote’s International Music Hall
How Much: $12-$15
Five Bay Area jam band veterans join together to make an excellent, nuanced Grateful Dead cover band. Bring the Dead Heads in your life to this fun night of tribute.
When: Saturday, 5/9 at 9:30 pm
Where: The Crow’s Nest
How Much: $7
Extra Large has been voted “Best Local Band in Santa Cruz” nine times in a row, and the feel good funk squad will continue to liven things up for locals this Saturday. Get ready to dance along to the self described “fiesta facilitators.”
SambaDá: Afro Brazilian Dance Party
When: Saturday, 5/9 at 9:00 pm
Where: Moe’s Alley
How Much: $15-$20
Santa Cruz’s favorite Brazilian band will have the crowd dancing all night long at Moe’s Alley.
House of Floyd “The Pink Floyd Concert Experience”
When: Saturday, 5/9 at 8:00 pm
Where: Rio Theatre
How Much: $25-$40
Get the full Pink Floyd concert experience this Saturday at the Rio with House of Floyd. The setlist spans everything from the early Syd Barrett days to the post-Roger Waters era.
Chaminade’s Mother’s Day brunch is already sold out, but you can enjoy brunch with mom at Sanderlings or the Crow’s Nest (reservations are sold out but they take walk-ins). If you want to treat mom to something really unique this year then check out this special Mother’s Day Brunch with LionFish. Here are a couple other things to help you celebrate mom this weekend:
- Mother’s Day at Seymour Center
- Celebrate Mom: Last Minute Gift Pop Up
- Mother’s Day Portraits to Benefit FosterEd
When: Sunday, 5/10 from 9:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Where: Lincoln Street between Pacific Avenue and Cedar Street
How Much: Free
If you’ve got a twenty dollar bill burning a whole in your pocket, finding a way to spend it won’t be difficult at the Downtown Antique Fair. The sprawling outdoor market features antiques of any category and price point you could want, so there really is something for everybody.
Hushfest: Santa Cruz Lighthouse
When: Sunday, 5/10 from 2:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Where: Lighthouse Point Lawn
How Much: $20
DJs will be bringing the beats to lighthouse field on Sunday afternoon, but the only way to hear the music is to pop on a pair of headphones. Hushfest, formerly known as Silent Frisco, is an afternoon outdoor musical event unlike any other. Get more info here and check out the video below to see what all the buzz is about:
- Redwood Loop Walk
- Discover Big Basin Redwoods!
- Wilder Ranch Coast Nature Walks
- Wildflower Walk
- Old-Growth Redwood Walks
- Mother’s Day Walk: Women of Big Basin
- The Road Less Traveled—A Dog-Friendly Walk
- Berry Creek Falls Hike
- Nature Wander
- Wildflower Walk
- Mother’s Day Redwood Loop Walk
In Case You Missed It
Additional events this weekend
- Austin Lounge Lizards
- Annual Pirate Festival at Harbor High
- KATDELIC + Kuckaw!: Grammy Nominated P-Funk All-Star Ronkat Spearman Brings His 10 Piece Band
- Caminos Flamencos “Nuevas Tendencias”
- Evening Bell, Amee Chapman, Parlor Tricks
- Josh Garrels
- A Stellar Experience — Star Gazing at Quail Hollow Ranch
- Complications From a Fall, by Kate Hawley
- Community Rental: Vive Oaxaca: Dance and Music
- “GUSTAVO RIVERA DE LA DINASTIA RIVER Banda Corazon Solteco”
- Fun Fridays in Laurel Park
- Ho`omana Hawaiian Band at Pono
Friday & Saturday
Friday through Sunday
- SDSF Flow Trail Grand Opening
- Santa Cruz Waves Photo Walk
- Santa Cruz Symphony Concert 5 ‘Sacred & Profane’
- The Merchants of Groove + Gail & Smith Dobson v
- Bobby T and the Slackers, Subpar
- Sin Sisters Burlesque
- 2nd Saturday on the Farm – DAY ON THE FARM!
- 3rd Annual Boardwalk Deaf Fest
- Every Picture Tells a Story at Wilder Ranch State Park
- DEM’ BAY BOYZ, B-Legit, Richie Rich, Celly cell, San Quinn
- Spring Release Party with Real Good Fish and Hook Fish Co.
Saturday & Sunday
- Chris Doud plus Cole Thomason
- Second Sundays at San Lorenzo Park
- Tony Furtado
- Sunday Seaside Crafts
- Cabrillo Women’s Chorus presents Songs of Spring
Recurring Events You Can Find Every Weekend
- Tours of the Reserve at Elkhorn Slough (weekly event – every Saturday & Sunday)
- Santa Cruz Farmers Markets (weekly events)
- Live Comedy at the Crow’s Nest (weekly event – every Sunday night)
PS – Get coverage of the best Santa Cruz events and other Santa Cruz Life content delivered straight to your inbox by signing up below…